While most are gearing up for exciting New Year’s Eve, I’m prepping for Pre op tomorrow morning.
And in the spirit of that, I’ve been packing my bag ready for hospital. Though I’ve been many times, I still forget some of the tried and tested things that all patients want. So I asked on various hip groups and forums.
The general consensus is
- Bigger underwear (we often underestimate how much swelling there is, and it’s more comfortable in boy short style too)
- Slippers they are fussy on our slippers, so think sturdy non slip ones. I’m using Flossy Kung Fu shoes. They don’t allow my new backless ones. So saving for home.
- Easy to wear clothing to travel too and from hospital, I usually wear trackies, hoody, and flossy shoes again.
- Ear Plugs,Eye Masks remember that hospitals are noisy and bright, so blocking the senses helps in sleep time.
- Nighties,PJ’s I have personally packed nighties this time, as I’m not sure I’m allowed to bend the leg. Dressing gown as well.
- Essentials like squash, as water is often hard water and warm, so I flavour mine. Drinking water aids healing greatly too. Lip balm, as nose and lips get chapped and feel dry. Sweets, boiled ones and snacks. I find I can’t eat that well at first, but light snacks help.
- Phone, with extra long charger or power bank, headphones. These are a godsend for me, I watch true crime podcasts, TV shows or read a book all off my phone.
- Toiletries, such as dry shampoo and shower gel, flannel and towel. You may bathe in the bed instead of shower, so a flannel really helps. I take baby wipes as well, and for indulgence I’m taking a body mist, so I can smell nice.
- Small mirror, hair brush and bobbles. I’m even taking a moisturizer. Toothbrush and toothpaste.
I’m packing two bags, sounds excessive but really it’s a way of having everything I need for 1-2 nights in the smallest bag, and packing a larger bag for my husband to bring should I need to stay longer.
- I haven’t packed a Grabber, or Sock Aid, or Long Handled Shoe Horn, or Long Handled Sponge.
Simply because I don’t have any, I may not need them, as I can always duck tape my razor to a ruler, or do that with a sponge. I have my own Mini moon and Mr moon to put socks on 😘
With that, I think I’m ready? As ready as I will ever be.